Saturday, October 13, 2007

Thinking positive can only disappoint you

Well.. my day was very medicore.. I think thats how you spell it. It was kinda boring. I was happy I got to run the phones (and thats just because Beth requested off for her son's birthday party), and then it was really slow! Like we didn't even go on a wait.. and if its that slow.. I don't really get to run the phones.. I sit tables.. and do all that other crap, I was soo disappointed. Then, this new host, who I swear wasn't taught anything.. kept standing behind the podium, and kinda.. shoving me out.. Like, she would be standing by the phone.. and Alli would be behind the podium too (Alli was kinda like the lead host).. and I don't think she understands that its supposed to be Alli and Me behind the podium.. But.. I didn't work with any other aggressive or assertive people today.. (Beth was there is one part!).. and none of those hosts get along with me too well..

Well, Alli gets along with me but because it was slow, she was cut at 8 (went home at 8). So it was then me, an experienced but not too good at communicating host, an average host, and a newbie. I was sad cause I was there until 9:45.. And it got busy after Alli was gone..

I felt tired all day, and kinda icky. I felt like the bad guy cause I kept telling people to leave the podium, cause like 4 or 5 people up there is CROWDED.. and I felt bad cause no one else would say anything, and none of them would move.. Like I said.. alot of hosts won't say or do anything.. I also felt bad cause it was like I was telling them to leave the podium, and like I said earlier, it wasn't like i had to be up there today (cause it was slow), I just didn't think that I should have to stand at the damned door again (i did have to stand there for an hour when i got there). Being the phone operator (Call-ahead), is like a privalge, saying you're a good worker, and you are organized.. I don't like this newbie (who has worked 2 non-training shifts), to think she can stand up there and tell me to go to tables, wtf?

Oh well, my work day was kinda bland.. and I felt bad cause twice.. I gave a server a party of like 8 people (kinda overwelming), and at the same time another table of like 2 or 4 people.. I mean they could kinda handle it, with the help of others.. but it wasn't like I could do anything about it. They were the only open tables.

I also realized.. yes.. I still talk too fast.. When I tell servers or customers stuff, I realized this alot today, they don't catch what I say.. I guess I talk so fast at work cause I'm always in a hurry.. Like.. i'd be seating someone (cause the newbie wouldnt' go), and i'd see people come in the door, and the newbie is at the board.. she doesnt' know what shes doing, and she doesn't know whose next so i'd kinda rush thru the seating process.. Oh well..

Have you ever noticed how nice it is when you're at a red light, behind someone, with your blinker on? Sometimes you can see your car's headlights and blinker on the back of their car.. I kinda wanted to zone out and watch the blinker..

Now.. I am home.. i took some tylenol for my minor headache.. maybe watching some tv and relaxing will do me good.. even though I have to be at work at 11:30.. and prolly working with the same people.. I wish I just had the motive to apply for work at another place.. but how do I know it'll be any better? Its hard to compare things at Tinseltown to Outback.

Oh yeah.. about my blog subject.. when I got to work, I was thinking positve about my work day, and excited. Then.. I kept getting pushed out of the podium, stuck sitting tables, and etc. I think that if I had gone to work thinking it'd be an average day, I wouldn't have got so annoyed and moody.. Thinking positive can only disappoint you.. not like it can turn out above what you expected only below.