Monday, June 23, 2014

"You don't eat bread?"

Discovering I was gluten intolerant, was the best healthy discovery I've ever had.  Once I removed gluten from my diet, my IBS disappeared.  It took more than a few weeks of gluten free food before I really saw the effects.  I feel even better when I cut out all carbs, but that's never easy.  So when I do want carbs, I stick to corn and rice.  The number one question I hear after I tell them, "No, I don't eat bread" is "Then how do you get enough fiber?".  I want everyone to know, you have options-

Serving Size Grams of Fiber per a serving
Split peas, cooked 1 cup 16.3
Lentils, cooked 1 cup 15.6
Black beans, cooked 1 cup 15
Lima beans, cooked 1 cup 13.2
Baked beans, vegetarian, canned, cooked 1 cup 10.4
Artichoke, cooked 1 medium 10.3
Green peas, cooked 1 cup 8.8
Raspberries
1 cup 8
Spaghetti, whole-wheat, cooked 1 cup 6.3
Pear, with skin 1 medium 5.5
Bran flakes 3/4 cup 5.3
Oat bran muffin 1 medium 5.2
Broccoli, boiled 1 cup 5.1
Turnip greens, boiled 1 cup 5
Apple, with skin 1 medium 4.4
Brussels sprouts, cooked 1 cup 4.1
Oatmeal, instant, cooked 1 cup 4
Sweet corn, cooked 1 cup 4
Sunflower seed kernels 1/4 cup 3.9
Popcorn, air-popped 3 cups 3.5
Brown rice, cooked 1 cup 3.5
Almonds 1 ounce 3.5
Banana 1 medium 3.1
Orange 1 medium 3.1
Strawberries 1 cup 3
Potato, with skin, baked 1 small 3
Pistachio nuts 1 ounce 2.9
Pecans 1 ounce 2.7
Tomato paste 1/4 cup 2.7
Bread, rye 1 slice 1.9
Bread, whole-wheat or multigrain 1 slice 1.9
Carrot, raw 1 medium 1.7
Figs, dried 2 medium 1.6
Raisins 1 ounce 1


Red items are foods I've done my best to eliminate from my diet.  Green items are foods I eat frequently.

Source: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/high-fiber-foods/art-20050948  However, all the sources I looked into had big variances between them.  But the order, was typically the same as I listed above.  If you type "fiber" and a vegetable name into Google, they have their own useful tool to calculate it for you, including boiled vs raw.